Every year, an estimated number of five million teeth are knocked out from both children and adults. Getting hurt from athletic accidents, especially from contact sports, makes the face the main area of damage. Sports-related dental emergencies range from minor chips to completely losing a tooth. However, just because a tooth has been knocked off, it doesn’t mean that it will be lost forever. Acting appropriately during emergencies can save the tooth, and have it successfully reimplanted to last for years to come. Remember to act quickly within 30 minutes and visit the nearest dentist to get it professionally reinserted.
Before reaching the dentist’s office, here are some teeth-saving actions you must do to save the tooth:
- If the tooth was knocked out from a child, determine if it is a baby tooth or permanent tooth. Baby teeth cannot be reinserted back into the socket.
- Immediately look for the tooth, do not leave it at the site of the accident. Carefully pick up the tooth by the crown (chewing surface) and not by the root.
- If the tooth is dirty, briefly rinse it with tap water. Do not scrub the tooth, or use soap and other chemicals. Wrapping it with a cloth or tissue paper should also be avoided.
- If possible, try inserting the tooth back into the socket. Gently push it by the crown with your fingers or slowly close your mouth. Hold it in place using your fingers or by biting down on it.
- Make sure the tooth is moist at all times. If it cannot be placed back into the socket, put it in a container filled with milk or inside your mouth next to the cheek. Do not use regular tap water to keep the roots moist.
- A tooth that has been out of the mouth for more than 60 minutes can still be saved. However, it is best to seek professional dental help within 30 minutes to increase your chances of saving the tooth.
Act fast in order to save a knocked-out tooth! Here at Plantation Dental, we are ready to save your tooth with the help of our Emergency Dentistry services in Plantation, TX. Call or find us at 8142 W Broward Blvd., Plantation, FL 33324.